LANGUAGE

Thursday 20 November 2008

The Grand Canyon of Asia

A 7 day solo descent of the Tsarap Chu and Zanskar Rivers



It was time to leave Manali, I said my farewells and got on the bus to the Baralacha La Pass. 

 

The Rohtang Pass was amazing, got to see THE chicken bus that everyone relates to when in the Himalayas.



At Baralacha La, the driver left me with my boat and expedition kit in the wind and snow as he did not want to drive another 20 minutes to the start of the Tsarap Chu.
Chris, can you believe it the only driver in India who would not go to the Tsarap Chu for a few Rupees!
Two trucks pass, a few military vehicles and finally I get onto a bus heading down to the put in!



Yep, the Suunto was right it was 4255m at the put in!


The Tsarap Chu was awesome, tight boily box canyons, Phugtal Monastery and the best white water!


The Zanskar did not let me down, the canyon was spectacular!


I made it to Nimmu, where Shalabh and Splash Rafting sorted me out with a lift back to Leh.



Leh is a great town.  I managed to get myself some decent curries, a lassi, shave and a couple of carpets.  What a way to go!!



My first solo multi-day journey through one of the most amazing and remotest canyons in the world.

A big thanks has to go out to some people for their help, info, flexibility, food and hospitality!!
Chris, Bob, Rup, Slime, Lara, Vaibhav, Ute, WCE, Shalabh, Pete, John, Andy and not forgetting Joel and the Swiss bridge swinging team!!

Gracias

Steve



Part one of The Peruvian Adventure will be published over the weekend, stay tuned!



No comments: